Senator Yager announces Historic Preservation Fund Grants for Historic Rugby in Morgan County and archeological site in Fentress County

(NASHVILLE, TN),  August 1, 2011 — State Senator Ken Yager (R-Harriman) today announced the award of a Historic Preservation Fund Grant of $20,000 for Historic Rugby in Morgan County.  The grant will be used for exterior restoration of Newberry House, including structural repairs, masonry work and painting.

“I am delighted that Historic Rugby has received a grant to restore the priceless Newberry House.  Historic Rugby is of special interest to me because of its cultural and economic impact on the three-county region of Morgan, Scott and Fentress counties. The leadership of Historic Rugby are good stewards and will use this grant wisely, preserving  Newberry House for future generations’ use.   I thank Governor Haslam and the State Historic Commission for their support.

A $9,257 grant has also been awarded to East Tennessee State University to fund an archeological survey of the bluff lines in the Jim Creek area adjacent to Pickett State Forest in Fentress County. 

“I am very pleased this study has been funded,” added Yager.  “This will give us more information regarding the early history of this county.”

Both grants come from federal funds allocated by the Department of Interior under the provisions of the National Historic Preservation Act. The programs in Tennessee authorized by this Act are administered by the Tennessee Historical Commission. The grants pay for up to 60 percent of the costs of approved project work and the grant recipient must provide the remaining 40 percent of the costs as matching funds. 

This year’s selection process emphasized projects conducting architectural, archaeological and historic site surveys.  Such projects are designed to identify and to record historic districts, sites, buildings, structures and objects built before 1960 that are significant to Tennessee’s history.  Surveys could be for a specific geographic area or for sites associated with themes or events significant in the state’s history.  Priorities for funding survey projects included areas experiencing rapid growth and development, other threats to cultural resources, areas where there are serious gaps in knowledge regarding cultural resources, and thematic surveys based upon existing historic study units produced by the State Historic Preservation Office.

Assistance also was made available for other types of historic preservation projects, including preservation planning studies for towns, neighborhoods and historic districts; the preparation of nominations to the National Register of Historic Places; planning or pre-development work necessary to undertake restoration of a historic property; and restoration of historic properties. For restoration or restoration pre-planning, properties must be listed in the National Register of Historic Places. 

For more information about the Tennessee Historical Commission, please visit the Web site at: www.tn.gov/environment/hist.

###



Search News by Member

Follow us on Twitter

Flickr Photos

Archives