Norris Encouraging West Tennesseans to Consider All Available Disaster Assistance


FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE    Contact:  Chuck Grimes
May 6, 2010                  Phone:  (615) 741-1967


NASHVILLE, Tenn. — State Senate Majority Leader Mark Norris (R-Collierville) is urging all citizens of Dyer, Tipton, and Shelby Counties affected by the terrible flooding, to call about available assistance.  “Words cannot describe the devastation and loss that so many Tennesseans have suffered. Our thoughts and prayers are with them.”  Norris said.  “When an event like this happens, 13 inches of rain, probably a 500-year flood or more, the system is overwhelmed.”  Norris worked with local, state, and federal emergency management personnel throughout the storm to expedite relief.  He toured the Mississippi River counties of West Tennessee on Tuesday.

With yesterday’s federal declaration of major disasters in Dyer, Tipton, and Shelby Counties, there are now federal funds available for temporary housing rentals, repair work for damaged homes, and homes destroyed that are not covered by insurance. 

Disaster loans up to $200,000 are available to homeowners to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate.  Homeowners and renters are eligible up to $40,000 to repair or replace damaged or destroyed personal property.

The filing deadline to return applications for physical property damage is July 6, 2010.  

For needs other than housing, there is also federal assistance available.  Funds are available for disaster-related medical costs, clothing, household items such as furnishings and appliances, required tools for work, and educational supplies destroyed.  There are also funds available for items used to clean-up damaged homes, like wet/dry vacuums, and funds for storage of property while clean-up and repairs are taking place. 

For a full list of available federal funds, visit the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) website at or, or call toll free at (800) 621-3362.  For other questions or more immediate assistance with other issues, call your local emergency management agency.

• Dyer County     (731) 286-7831

• Lauderdale County    (731) 635-3243

• Shelby County     (901) 515-2525

• Tipton County     (901) 476-0222

Businesses located in a declared disaster area and that have incurred damage during the disaster may apply for funds to help repair or replace damaged property to its pre-disaster condition. The Small Business Administration makes physical disaster loans of up to $2 million to qualified businesses. Physical Disaster Loans are for permanent rebuilding and replacement of uninsured or underinsured disaster-damaged property. SBA’s physical disaster loans are available to businesses of all sizes and private, non-profit organizations.  Businesses can learn more about these funds and apply by visiting the website or by calling (800) 659-2955.

Additionally, there are federal funds available through the Disaster Unemployment Assistance program for workers who have lost work as a direct result of the storms and flooding.  The Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development facilitates this program for the Federal Government, and those individuals eligible should call the Tennessee Unemployment Insurance Claims Center at (877) 813-0950 extension 7599.

For those fortunate enough to have been spared by this devastation, please consider a donation.  If you would like to donate, the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency has opened the Tennessee Emergency Donations Hotline.  Please call (866) 586-4483 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.

Senator Norris serves as Senate Majority Leader and represents District 32, which includes Dyer, Lauderdale, Tipton, and Shelby Counties.

# # #

Search News by Member

Follow us on Twitter

Flickr Photos